Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Kiss Kiss!

We were doing language and literature in school way back in November, such a fun course, I have lots of useful resources for my days as an ECE...


We were supposed to make 2 puppets, I was on google looking around for ideas and came across this amazing puppet! 


Here is what I used, (vary material based on what you have at home):


KD box
Coloured foam sheets (could use any type of paper)
White computer paper
Hot glue gun
Hair elastic
Scissors
Ruler
Circle stencil (or free hand if you don't have a stencil)

  1. So I used a box of Kraft Dinner cut through the middle making sure to leave one side of the box intact (don't cut all the way through, just 3 sides, I measured the box first to make sure if was even on both sides). 
  2. Then I wrapped the whole box in paper so that the blue KD box wouldn't show through if there were any openings.
  3. I measured and cut each piece of foam sheet to cover each side and gave each piece a letter so I wouldn't mix them up when gluing them after.
  4. Heated up the glue gun and started gluing on the sides.
  5. Then I cut out the smaller pieces for the eyes, the nostrils, the ears and the tongue.
  6. When I was happy with the sizes of the small pieces I glued them to the box.
  7. Then I cup the white paper into strips about 1cm thick, and rolled them up for the teeth. I glued the ends down and then hot glued them into place.
  8. The hair elastic is so that your hand stays when you have the puppet on, i just hid it inside the mouth (the photo doesn't show the elastic, but I added it after and it helped keep the puppet on).
  9. For the ears I just cut a small slit in the corner of the box and squished the folded circle into it and put some hot glue inside to hold it in place.

I think that covers the steps, if I missed something it should be pretty easy to figure out, if anything didn't make sense just comment and I will try and help. 



So after making the puppet I came across the book "Kiss Kiss!" by Margaret Wild & Bridget Strevens-Marzo and the puppet matched perfectly, the story was a hit in class with my adult class mates so I would imagine that it will be a hit with the little one's.


I know you can make other animals, like a tiger, a monkey, a giraffe, a cow, the possibilities are endless, my only thought was that the ears can't be too big other wise they may not stay intact if the children use the puppets, but let your imagination go and have some fun, I would love to see some other styles to grow my KD puppet collection. 



No comments:

Post a Comment